Monday, April 02, 2007

Artist: Jessie Wilcox Smith


Since I have received several requests for the identity of the artist who painted the little girl reading by a window, (several posts back) I've decided to make that woman the first of my featured artists. So, o curious world, I present the talented and lovely, Jessie Wilcox Smith.

One of the most beloved artist/illustrators in the children's book world, Jessie Wilcox Smith was one of three women who studied under famed illustrator Howard Pyle. She become known for her delightful illustrations of the children's classics as well as her tender portrayal of childhood. You will find her illustrations in such classics as Little Women, At the Back of the North Wind, Heidi, and The Water Babies.

She loved children and families, and was part of the Victorian Era that so valued the home. Her art reflects this and I treasure her paintings for their tenderness, innocence and portrayal of an imaginative ideal.

To read more about her, you can go here.

For an online gallery of her work and a great source for prints you can go to PODkids. They make high quality, print on demand posters of most of her best known works.

So, enjoy this lovely artist. She has brought much beauty to the walls of my home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I LOVE this illustrator and have been a collector of her works for years....You have her name spelled incorrectly in the site & in the web address...The correct spelling is Jessie Willcox Smith. Two L's in Willcox. Thought you would like to know.

Unknown said...

Hi,
We have had a Jessie Willcox Smith print in the family for a very long time and I haven't seen it in any of the pages I've seen on the internet so far.
I am curious to know if anyone knows it.
It is of a baby with blond hair and little rose bud mouth...in a white gown, crawling I think. Only his hands and face with lovely blue eyes showing.It has a black background and is in a circle with a ring of fruit and flowers in mostly blues, around it.
Cheers, Su Su