Friday, March 30, 2007

And it was good...


I went reluctantly for a walk this evening. The chill was pervasive and I dreaded the keening of the mountain wind. The snow has crept back to our dusky hills and I shrink from the cold that holds the greening spring days captive. But I went for the evening stroll because something in me hungered for the wind; felt that it was necessary to foray back out into the freshness of the air, however chill. And it was true.
We walked hard, breathless at the cold and the exertion of up and downhill. But it set the blood to stirring so that my mind was fresh, elated, clear. And in its clarity, I saw how deeply I need the sting of wind and whish of winter leaves, my spirit longs to touch the reality of my Creator through the tang of fog that makes these dusky mountains blue. I stood out after we had gotten home, perched on the edge of the deck and loved the goodness that still pervades God's creation. Loved his presence, potent in every vein of this broken, yet relentlessly beautiful earth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a breath of life and strength flowing through your words that is divine. Thank you for all of your effort to bring beauty and truth so regularly across my life to inspire me and to continue giving me strength to strive for ideals!

Jamie said...

That sounds wonderful :)

Mihstiegh said...

I have a 16 year old daughter that I am going to introduce to your blog this week.... you two sound alot alike and I am curious to see her response. Praying for you and your family this month. Be sweet to your Mom!

Anonymous said...

I so relate to your thoughts! Thank you for sharing your heart with us. As I read each word of your post my heart warmed within me. God's creation is beautiful beyond words, and we have the opportunity to enjoy it all the time (some more than others...I live in Los Angeles - I would love to move somewhere more natural and beholding, but God has made it clear we are to be here for right now at least since my husband was recently hired with the Los Angeles City Fire Department. This is a dream of his, to become a firefighter. He graduates tomorrow from the academy!)